|April 22, 2010||Filled under 1% for the Planet, Bottles, Plastic|
This was the bottle that started it all. Almost 2 years ago, I somehow came across this bottle on some website and instantly felt drawn to its design. A clear bottle with a hinged opener was exactly what I was looking for. No screwing in and out the caps and losing it or dropping it on the floor. It was a simple *click* to open and *click* to close.
What is even more awesome than the the hinged cap was the little KOR “stones” , which were pieces of paper with something fun or inspirational that was kept dry by a little small compartment on the cap so whenever you drink or open the cap, you can see what it says. I chose “Laugh often” since I had gotten the bottle and have never changed it. It’s been a small reminder all along.
After a year and a half, I must say that I still really love it. It’s a huge bottle that fills 750mL or 25 ounces of water, so it’s not a bottle to carry around if you’re going shopping or doing something more mobile. It’s great to keep at the office desk or in class where you’ll be sitting a long time. Trust me, it’ll make you go through that bottle so fast!
Things to keep in mind:
- Because of its size, I don’t really like taking it on the go with me unless it’s somewhere where I would need a lot of water for a long period of time sitting down or doing work.
- The hinge becomes a tad bit loose after a little while, not sealing it as tightly as when I first got it.
- Because it’s a clear plastic, the scratches are quite apparent. The white parts of the bottle can come to look a little dirty because of the scratches too. When I put it in my purse and the bottle tilts, it can easily leak a decent quantity of water all over inside my bag, so I make sure it’s always sat straight up. I always thought the leak came from accidentally unleashing the hinge button on the cap but I held it upside down and sideways once and it started a pretty decent dribble of water.
- It’s plastic so if you leave the water in there and in your purse overnight, it can get pretty mildewy-smelly.
- Finally, the blue suction ring at the top of the cap can get moldy and black after a while unless you diligently take the ring off and wash and dry it.
I do get plenty of comments about the KOR and people love the little reminder, which is very unique in itself. The design is very sleek and it’s very easy to carry with the handle on the top of the cap.
Good for the environment?
KOR Water, Inc. has been very public about the different environmental causes that they support. They are a member of 1% for the Planet and contribute to Sea Shepard Conservation Society, The Wetlands Initiative, Container Recycling Institute, and the Blue Planet Run. I’ve been very impressed with the company’s push for educating their customers about environmental issues.
Where can I buy it?
You can purchase the bottle directly from Kor One’s website for $29.95 or $35.00 for their special edition beautifully designed ones. Alternatively, Amazon sells it for $29.25 and $34.95 for the special edition ones.
At the end of the day, I’m still very excited about this bottle, even after almost 2 years of using. It’s been a great container and definitely a centerpiece of many kill-time conversations!