|June 7, 2011||Filled under Bottles, Stainless steel|
This beautiful bottle was graciously sent to me by the lovely Sarah Kraus, founder of S’well! She was also amazing in sponsoring MyWaterBloggle‘s Earth Day contest by providing the sparkling new “Mrs. Green” bottle.
It’s not often that I come across a water bottle that is in a shape served for drinking water AND keeping beverages a certain temperature for a long period of time. More often than not there’s a distinction between a thermos and a water bottle. I was super excited when I learned about S’well‘s combination of functionality and design.
What I liked about the bottle:
- I LOVE the colors. With the stainless steel sheen, the colors add a unique pop to a metal bottle with a streamlined design.
- The insulation! What amazing insulation. I added hot tea to the bottle after finishing my first 17 oz of water in the morning, and to my surprise, the tea was still hot to the lip around 4 o’clock in the afternoon.
- The double wall really helps keep the temperature on the bottle surface stable. This means that when there is iced beverage, it doesn’t produce condensation that leaves annoying water rings on your desks, and when there is hot drinks, it is still room temperature to the touch.
- The screw top means if you screw it on tight, there will be no leakage.
- This bottle fits a bike cage, but it’s not the most convenient to open while riding, so I wouldn’t recommend it on bikes. This is a light-weight bottle that looks sleek, which is great to stick into your purse when going shopping or out for a stroll.
What I don’t like about the bottle:
- The bottle opening is really small. This is great in terms of drinking but not great for adding stuff into it. It becomes difficult to clean and difficult to take out tea bags, lemon, etc.
- The stainless steel outside is not well coated, which leaves an steel-y smell on my hands.
- The cap is hard to unscrew at times because of the way the “stopper” portion of the cap is built and because of its smooth brushed steel surface, if the bottle cap is wet or somehow oily, it makes it a little tougher to unscrew.
- The detached cap can be sat upside down on the table while the bottle is open, but I don’t like the idea of my cap that touches the liquid having the chance of touching public surfaces, which has happened several times already.
- This bottle is not convenient for more active activities such as working out, biking, or even sedentary activities where you’ll need/want constant access to water.
- Made from 18/8 food grade stainless steel, double-walled.
- Comes in 7 different colors – Midnight Black, Mrs. Green, Ocean Blue, Rowboat Red, Seashell Pink, Silver Lining, and Sunshine Yellow.
- Holds 17oz of cold or hot beverages without fearing that chemicals will leak into your drink.
Company’s Social and Environmental Commitment?
Where can I buy one?
You can purchase the bottles directly off the S’well website. They are $35 per bottle + S&H and tax applied in New York state.